Appreciate before it’s TOO Late
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire. Appreciation for your colleagues, coworkers, employees, can happen at any moment; it doesn’t have to be a special occasion to recognize persons for their contributions. In actuality, small tokens of appreciation spread throughout the year go a long way, as this brings value to not just the person receiving the appreciation but the team as a whole. So, I know what you’re thinking, “What kind of ways can I show appreciation in the workplace?” Well I’m here to tell you, opportunities are unlimited and it starts with a thought. Don’t just stop here; use this lesson of appreciation, in your personal lives. Show the people that matter most to you, they are appreciated. This way it becomes easier! More acts of appreciation towards your employees can in fact keep a person motivated about the overall organizational goal. In a recent article posted in the Balance, ten ways were explained on how to show employees appreciation; I have provided my Top Five:
- Praise something your coworker has done well – Identify an admirable action, give praise, and emphasize the action to be seen more often. (i.e. “You did an awesome job on the weekly presentation today.”
- Say thank you – Any small act of kindness and courtesy goes a long way. Just like in our personal lives, these social niceties’ too belong in the workplace.
- Present a personalized gift – know your employees personal interest to present gifts from time to time. A gift does not have to be material things, as a card showing appreciation and compassion goes a long way.
- Almost everyone appreciates food – Any day is a day for celebration; take employees out for lunch dates to show appreciation, special occasions, and showcase employees for meeting goals or deadlines for the week or month.
- Finally, provide opportunity – Cross training, attending conferences, organizational events, spread the wealth with your employees has they can benefit from it and contribute to the team. This provides even more of a reason to show appreciation.
Appreciation: the recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something. Show an act of kindness today by appreciating those around you.